Thursday, March 05, 2009

Birthdays and weddings

Well I'm glad to cover up that last post by something a little less ... personal.

It's Thursday morning and I'm in the office again for the second day in a row – exactly one month after my famous appointment with the surgeon. This week I am feeling practically normal and am very thankful for that.

When I opened the mail a couple of hours ago I saw this large envelope like a card from my sister Cynthia. I always get rid of all the cheques and bills and business mail first and save personal mail for the end. Today there was just this one letter so it had my undivided attention. It passed through my mind to wonder what birthday she might be sending me a card for.

Well, inside was a cute hand-made card announcing a coming marriage. My first thought was, It's not possible – is Cynthia marrying again? Then I looked more carefully and saw that it was from my long-lost niece who I remember as a tiny girl called Cassy. It turns out she is getting married to someone from Brazil named Mário. My goodness, how time flies!

We haven't followed the intricacies of the courtship but I think she went down to SA recently so that is surely where they met. The world is a funny place, to be sure! Who would have guessed?

I don't know how long they've known each other but the wedding is this Saturday so I don't think we're going to be able to make it in time! I shall have to write her this afternoon and send our congratulations. At the same time I think I'll ask for a decent photo of the pair.

Well, that started me thinking about birthdays and such-like festivities and I realized that I'd completely forgotten Cynthia's birthday, which was yesterday in 1965 (remember it well)!

I have a terrible track record for materializing my remembrance of these things (read, I don't send cards) but it is very seldom that the day passes with me not even remembering at all. I guess all that means is that I remember the day but don't do anything about it. Most of the time it's because I don't remember in time.

I always tell my brother that his birthday has never passed by unremembered but I almost never manage to "remember" it two weeks in advance – the time I'd need to get a card in the mail to him! Sigh. I don't know if anyone appreciates the power of that argument but I certainly do.

Don't you think greeting cards are funny things? Wishing people happy birthday is a funny thing to do. Saying merry Christmas is surely more of a tradition than a real conscious wish. (On the other hand, congratulating someone on their wedding anniversary strikes me as making a lot of sense – especially in times like these.)

I am neither pagan nor cynic and realize it is with such niceties that the wheels of our civilization are greased and we find ourselves meshing with each other with less friction and heat and so that must mean they are good things.

Lord help me. And Lord bless the happy couple – long may their commitment last.

Oh, and while I think of it: happy birthday, Cynthia.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle Derrick...

    I must confess I didn't even know you had a blog...I just saw it on Mum's blog list today!!

    Have you ever read mine?? I try to update it at least once a week!

    I must tell you, I really enjoyed this post, I too like you never get birthday cards out. I do admit I usally go and buy the card and then never mail them!!! But I too - even though I don't mail them, I do think of them.

    Regarding Cass's wedding...she met her husband while she was in Chile doing her DTS. He is from Brazil. How I wish I could be there for their wedding...

    Well sorry this comment isn't very long but I just wanted you to know that I will now read your blog more often.

    Love you and miss you all - give my love to the family!!

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for sure that I had commented on this one...hmmmm.... I made sure that Cynthia saw it when we were up in Edmonton, so she got your greetings.

    I, too, am the same with cards...exactly the same. Sorry, family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Uncle Derrick!

    I had heard that you had a blog, but only just came upon it this morning. I'm so sorry that your invitation got to you so late! We unfortunately didn't have as much time as we would have liked to prepare as Mario's tourist visa was set for a shorter time then we had anticipated, 2 months difference actually, so we were a bit pressed for time. Our sincerest apologies. Thank you for the well-wishes, it was a beautiful wedding thanks to the family and friends . We're trying to post our wedding video, so I'll try and keep you updated on that so you're able to see it, but until then, I'm not sure if you've seen them already, but on Samantha's facebook profile there is some of our wedding pictures that Samantha and Tanya took. Hope you are all doing well, much love and blessings on you all...Oh, and about YWAM and Brazil and all that, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sometimes a good thing can get so defaced by the devil's tricks and lies, and on a side note, we aren't actually involved with YWAM anymore, nor here in Brazil. Just to give you some peace of mind, I guess. And Mario is a wonderful man of God, I can't wait for you to meet him, I'm sure you're going to get along great with him! Well, once again, sending all our love, and God bless....Miss you!

    Cassandra (Zielsdorf) Borba & Mario!

    ReplyDelete