Thursday, June 04, 2009

A very nice man

I've just finished reading a new book I received yesterday and couldn't put down. It has the intriguing title of "What Zizi Gave Honeyboy" and what Zizi gave, Honeyboy has passed along to us.


If I were a voting man, this book would get my book-of-the-month award. It has greatly affected me and moved me and challenged me to make the most of my life while it is still possible.

The author is Gerald Celente and in case he is new to you, you can find out a little about him by clicking here. He is a New Yorker of Italian extraction—just a couple of years older than me but much nicer.

He's a caring person who loves people and loves life and what is really refreshing is the honesty and simplicity of his writing. Of course I would say I love people, too, but I've been greatly challenged by reading this little book for there is so much left undone. And as Francesco once said to Bernardo, "Words, Bernardo, words. There was a time when I believed in words." (Needless to say, I don't anymore, either.)

Gerald is typical of everything I love about Italy and he embodies the best of America. His reminisces bring back my own old memories of a bygone time that we will never see again. Unlike Gerald, who is quite optimistic for our long-term future as a civilization, I can't seem to feel it. We both share a rather pessimistic outlook for the short-term, though, and I think things must get worse before they can get better. But those thoughts are best kept to oneself, aren't they?

Anyway, Gerald is the school friend I never had, the buddy I never grew up with. It seems that today we are on such an identical wave-length that it surprises me how it could be.

Well, thanks for the book, Jerry. Have a good day, and may God grant you a long and happy life!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds interesting... I find I just don't have the time nor inclination right now to read the score of books sitting on my shelf. Maybe I have the wrong selection of books - ha ha.

    Having said that, I've been doing a lot of Bible study and there isn't a better book in the world than that!

    ReplyDelete