Thursday, December 31, 2009

Another mystery?

I guess it's part of living in a large old house whose owner never finished completely cleaning out his attic or some spare rooms.

A year or two ago, while cleaning out a big storage room that we'd been using to stock old worn-out computers, printers, modems, and the like I ran across a small brown envelope marked "Correspondence 1958" on it.


Not having the time or inclination at the moment, I shelved it for later inspection. Last week I came by it again and decided to have a look at what could have been so precious to warrant being kept for fifty years.

Inside are a couple of dozen carefully-folded airmail letters (remember them?). All are addressed to a Monsieur MARTEL (whom I've never heard of before) apparently living in a town called Maspeth (almost invariably misspelt "Maspeht") in New York State, and they are signed from a Monsieur Paul Gerbault living at the time in Saint Pierre des Corps.


Now, Saint Pierre des Corps is a town that merges into the greater metropolitan area of Tours, about 45 kilometres south of us. But, needless to say I've never heard of M. Gerbault, either!

So how on earth did all these letters, written by M. Gerbault (from Saint Pierre des Corps) to M. Martel (in New York!) find their way here, at Courtiron? And what is the important subject matter?

Well, I don't know the answer but I have one clue (just noticed it now): there is the same name again that we saw a few months ago on the book from Switzerland! (If you missed that post, go back and read it here.)

I'm going to read a few of these letters and see what I can learn about these guys. I'll get back to you with an update in a few days!

Meanwhile, this being the last day of the year: have a happy time tonight and a happy year throughout 2010, with all God's blessing on you.


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, Daddy !
    I'd like to take a look at them myself ; the stamps must be sort of old, maybe we can soak them ?

    Love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete