Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Second Corinthians

(How do you like the title? After yesterday you knew this one was coming, didn't you?)

Well, I have a couple more photos to share from Corinth. First of all, remember that monument in the churchyard with the verses from 1 Corinthians 13:1-8? How would you like to see the other side of the same stele? It was written in Greek (of course) and since Becky is taking a course in ancient Greek I thought she'd like to compare. In the event she says it is very similar to what she is used to. Here it is, with the ruins of Ancient Corinth in the background.


And, just to round out the town of Corinth here's a shot of part of the ruins. I don't know if you are someone who particularly revels in these kinds of photos or not. Personally I find that they all start to look alike after awhile which is why I try to find something novel or different to remember the place by.


Well, our next stop was on the island of Rhodes, which has such a rich history. Remember that the "Colossus of Rhodes" was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. If you'd asked me a couple of months ago where the Acropolis was located I'm sure I would have said Athens. What I'm sure I didn't realize (though I perhaps should have) is that every major Greek city had an acropolis.

Our guide pointed out that the word is derived from two others: "acro" signifying the highest, or most extreme part, and, of course, "polis" the city. Thus the acropolis was always on the highest hill and was the most prominent part of the city below. In Rhodes the acropolis is dominated by the remains of a temple to Apollo (not to be confused with Apollos, a former co-worker of Paul!).

I found the city fascinating since it is apparently one of the oldest medieval cities in the world that is still inhabited dating, as it does, from the middle ages sometime. It is dominated by the "Palace of the Grand Master" and has a history thousands of years old.

You really should take a look at the Wikipedia site on Rhodes — there is much there to see and learn. This was our third stop and we were still in Greece. Our next stop (tomorrow) will take us to Cyprus; an independent country but still dominated by Greek language and culture.

It only remains for me to show you a picture I took looking down one of the cobbled streets within the ancient city walls, and that must end my presentation for today. I hope you're enjoying it!








2 comments:

  1. I am one of those who revels in "those" kind of photos. Good job I wasn't along as I would have spent hours in the ruins, taking hundreds of photos, and, probably, making the ship wait for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Daddy ! Please can you write some more about Rhodes or at least about the Greek islands ?

    ReplyDelete