Friday, February 05, 2010

My mother in Nice


A picture I like to study from time to time was taken in 1940 while my eighteen-year-old mother was on leave in France during her duty in the WAAF, the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. Written on the back in my mother's handwriting is this.

This was taken on the balcony of the Hotel Westminster, which is the American Red Cross Club. This is to show the "Promenade des Anglais" which is the well known part of the Riviera. The Med is a real blue and the sky too.

This isn't too good of me I don't think — at least it appears to make me broader in the beam. Doreen's is the same. I am not vain really though I sure took some photos this leave, but thought they'd make souvenirs!!

(Had to cut to make it fit the envelope)
Brenda


2010 - 1940 = 70. Seventy years is a long time in anyone's memory.

God bless her, may she be honoured once again for a few minutes.


2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite photos of Mum! I'm not sure I had the writing on the back, so thanks for letting me know that. I will make note of it for my scrapbook...

    I'll tell you, I sure do miss her. I think because we were so close before she passed away and my girls still talk often of her (usually as they are telling me that I am acting or talking like her). It's funny, when I was younger I was, foolishly, insulted or upset when people said I was like Mum. Now I take it as one of the highest compliments!

    Thanks for the memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a good picture of you Mum.

    Floyd

    ReplyDelete