Sunday, March 14, 2010

Content

Many of you know we've been fans of the eighteenth century quietist Jeanne Guyon for many years. But you may never have realized quite why.

If you're unfamiliar with her story and testimony the entry in Wikipedia will give you a rough glimpse. Then read over the words to this hymn, written and published in 1790 and then translated a few years later by William Cowper and published in English in 1801 as Content.

We have it in our hymnal Hymns of the Christian Life, number 169. Here are the words:

My Lord, how full of sweet content
I pass my years of banishment!
Where e'er I dwell, I dwell with Thee,
In heaven, in earth, or on the sea;
Where e'er I dwell, I dwell with Thee,
In heaven, in earth, or on the sea.

To me remains nor place nor time,
My country is in every clime;
I can be calm and free from care
On any shore, since God is there;
I can be calm and free from care
On any shore, since God is there.

While place I seek, or place I shun,
The soul finds happiness in none;
But with my God to guide my way,
Tis equal joy, to go or stay;
But with my God to guide my way,
Tis equal joy, to go or stay.


The other day I asked Sarah, Becky, and Claire to sing this lovely hymn a cappella for you. Here it is. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. What a blessing this was this evening!(beautiful) I haven't heard this for a few years. Going to have to get the music and play it/sing it. Thanks for refreshing my memory! I hope you are all doing well..look forward to reading your blog of the family. God Bless you all, Brenda McCormick

    ReplyDelete