Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A letter from the President!

Last year I shared with you a book I'd just read written by the President of the Czech Republic, Vaclav Klaus, called "Blue Planet in Green Shackles".  I was very impressed by it and said so at the time.

I hope you've managed to get a copy of the book to see for yourself but I encouraged others here to read it as well. Well, we've had a love affair with people of Czech for some time and have even been to visit them, and they us.

Claire has been trying to get to grips with the language and has just finished reading the book too.  She asked me what I thought of her writing the president to thank him for the book. 

Of course, I encouraged her to do so and although Mr Klaus speaks perfect English, she enlisted the help of a Czech friend of hers and got a letter together in Czech.  It finally went off last week.

I hoped he'd reply but wasn't expecting anything so quick: she got her answer in this morning's post!  Here it is as we got it; a short not thanking her for her nice letter.

Apparently his handwriting makes a translation a little more difficult as several words are doubtful.  As soon as we get a definitive English translation you'll read it here!

(I remember when I was a child I wrote to the mayor of Oslo for information and was delighted to get an answer back.  Years ago Rebecca wrote to our president at the time (Jacques Chirac) as well as to the singer Yves Duteil so I guess the idea runs in the family!)

Here's the envelope

And here's the letter

2 comments:

  1. Translation: Thank you for Your beautiful letter and kind words, which pleased me. Be succeffull in your study of Czech language. Vaclav Klaus

    ReplyDelete