Tuesday, March 19, 2013

News

I was just thinking about my last post: how vain to bother posting a picture of myself!

But there you are, I liked the shot (Sarah took it on our recent holiday) and thought of some of you who frequent this area might like it too.


We just got back after (yet another) cruise holiday.  This time we wanted Rebecca and Christopher to make it with us as they've never done that kind of thing before.  It was really the cruise of a lifetime and I don't think we'll ever do it again like that.

Ports of call (in order) were: Marseilles, Nice, Savona, Catania, Athens, Rhodes, Smyrna, Olympia, and then Rome (we were visiting Saint Peter's square the day of the recent election and what a crowd there was!).

The tour was accentuated on ancient civilisations, which is exactly what Rebecca is studying for her master's degree this year.  Needless to say, she loved it!

We were very pleased and rather surprised in Turkey to see the warm-hearted greetings we got everywhere.  Greece we knew a little from our last visit and loved it!

The picture of myself on the last post was taken in a small bar waiting for my first Greek coffee which, I have to say, was very good!



Some of you may remember an old photo I posted some years ago (see it here) of my mother during the war.  She visited Nice and had her picture taken while staying there at the Westminster Hotel on the promenade des Anglais.

I have always said that one day I'd try to find that hotel if it still existed and maybe even the very spot the picture was taken.

Well, this trip was the occasion — and I found it!

The hotel is still there (I found that it dates from 1860) and looking much as it must have seventy years ago — the street view is all that has obviously changed.

The management was very kind and accommodating to me and thanks to them we found the very same room and balcony she stood on for the photo!

Here is Rebecca, at same age as her grandmother was, standing in the same spot 73 years later.

Just for fun ...

2 comments:

  1. Derrick! That is fantastic! What an amazing idea and you were actually able to pull it off. That's great and certainly a memorable photo.

    Re the cruise - friends of ours from Nova Scotia have been after us, for some time now, to do a two-week cruise with them of the Mediterranean with the last week being the journey from there to Florida. I would love to but don't think it will really ever happen...but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the cruise, Daddy. It certainly was the cruise of a life-time !
    Love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete